UMM logo

A Member of the University of Maryland Medical System   |   In Partnership with the University of Maryland School of Medicine


Email PageEmail Print PagePrint
Find a Doctor Become a Patient University of Maryland Medical Center Ask an Expert Getting Here Contact Us Site Map 1-800-492-5538

Ask The Expert Archive

For an Appointment Call: 1-800-492-5538

Scoliosis and Revision Spine Surgery Archive Questions

Below are Dr. Sansur’s answers to Scoliosis and Revision Spine Surgery questions
received through the Ask the Expert feature.

This content is provided for informational purposes only, and is not intended
to be a substitute for individual medical advice in diagnosing or treating a
health problem. Please consult with your physician about your specific health
care concerns.

Now displaying records 1 to 2 of 2.


Q : 1

Should injections of cortisone to relieve tailbone pain/discomfort only be performed by a physician specializing in your field?

Most injections of this nature are performed by pain anesthesiologists or neuroradiologists. Neurosurgeons typically do not perform injections.

Q : 2

I was diagnosed with scoliosis as a young teen and wore a back brace for several years. I am now older and have been having some pain in my neck/shoulder area as well down my right arm. An X-ray showed that my curve is at 50 degrees for the upper and 25 degrees for the lower. Should I be concerned with the 50 degree curve?

You should only be concerned if the degree of curvature progresses over time. I would get another X-ray in 3-6 months to check for any progressive scoliosis. If stable, I would check on an annual basis.


For patient inquiries, call 1-866-408-6885 or click here to make an appointment.